PlaceTrack: best Latitude client for iPhone, with Facebook and Foursquare support
Aug 2014 UPDATE: PlaceTrack is finally available on Android. DOWNLOAD NOW!
Jan 2014 UPDATE: the new PlaceTrack 3.x is now available!!! Initially created as a background Google Latitude updater, PlaceTrack now uses its own backend infrastructure and continues to work well with even more sharing features. Your location data can now include location history, speed, altitude, whether you’re walking, running, moving in a vehicle or resting (using the new M7 coprocessor on supported devices). PlaceTrack can also optionally share live location data through secret web urls: you can authorize anyone with web access to see where you are or where you have been. DOWNLOAD NOW!
PlaceTrack is the best full-featured background updater for Google Latitude. Can even get your friends location from Foursquare and Facebook or automatically check you In!
(discussion and support page) (official web site)
- keeps Google Latitude up-to-date with your exact location: install the app, authenticate, enable background, quit and forget about it!
- Foursquare and Facebook support: see your friends’ checkins on the map or automatically check-in to Foursquare or Facebook
- publish your location data, a map and an optional text on your wall. See your Facebook friends location on map or use the new Facebook Check-In feature
- optional location history and KML export: you can export past locations by email (as a KML file) or to other installed app (eg. Google Earth)
- battery friendly background mode: the application suspends on exit and is woken up only when you move significantly (detected using cell towers signal); most of the time it just sleeps and the GPS hardware is powered off to preserve battery
- automatic relaunch: if the application gets killed for whatever reason (eg, after a power cycle) and background mode was enabled, the application is automatically relaunched in the background on the first location change event
- location sharing on Twitter, SMS, Email, Facebook: send your current postal mail address along with gps coordinates and a small street map and a “directions” link. If your receipient uses an iPhone, the “directions” link launches the Maps application (on desktops it opens the Google maps website with your current coordinates)
- fake location support: you can disable GPS usage completely and input a fake place name to be used as your location. When you enter a fake location, background mode is temporarily disabled
- uses iOS background features on supported phone models (3GS and up)
- uses the official Latitude API, authentication and authorization flow is based on OAuth2 (and 2-step verification is ok)
- security: your credentials are securely transmitted from your iPhone directly to the services and never sent to our or any third party servers
- you can tune most configurable parameters (gps accuracy, timeouts, local notifications, etc)
- your current location (address and gps coordinates) with altitude and speed (if available) are always displayed on the application main screen and included in Facebook status updates
- the application may send local notification on particular events (location changes, network failures, authentication errors): you can set a notification threshold for the error severity level or turn off notifications completely
HOW IT COMPARES WITH OTHER CLIENTS
- battery usage is excellent: PlaceTrack uses SLC mode (Significant Location Change), NOT continuos background. PlaceTrack is suspended in the background most of the time and does not use cpu cycles
- Check In and Auto Check In support (to Foursquare and Facebook). Auto Check-In uses the new iOS geofencing features. Your friends’ checkins are shown on map and you can view StreetView images or Foursquare photos for their location
- can save location history locally and can export kml to files or other installed apps
- delayed Latitude sync: stores your locations when you’re offline, push them to your Latitude history when you’re back online